What if society is a ship going too fast in one direction and no one knows how to maneuver it?
Maybe we have a sensation of being on board a sinking ship. Maybe there is a sneaky feeling that we have constructed a society which is based on a set of expectations for the future, that turns out to be wrong and life-threatening.
With Wishful Beginnings, the renowned Norwegian company Verk Produksjoner has embarked on a journey of gathering stories. They have had countless discussions, wandered, told, recorded, collected, retold and let their minds spin on. They have banged their heads against the wall, looked sideways, interpreted shadows and attempted to give voices to the quiet reverberations. Maybe it is all about conjuring a ghost or evoking the unfamiliar?
Wishful Beginnings is co-produced by Teaterhuset Avant Garden. The theatre has also co-produced and/or presented several of Verk Produksjoner’s previous works, such as Stalker (2014), Paradise Now (2015) and Beat the Drum: Walk (2016).
- Created and performed by: Fredrik Hannestad, Saila Hyttinen, Tilo Hahn, Signe Becker, Solveig Laland Mohn, Håkon Mathias Vassvik, Per Platou, Anders Mossling, Espen Klouman Høiner, Pernille Mogensen, Camilla Eeg-Tverbakk, Jon Refsdal Moe og Agnes Gry.
- Co-produced by: Black Box Teater, Teaterhuset Avant Garden og BIT Teatergarasjen.
- Supported by: Norsk Kulturråd.
- Video: Ivar Mykland / Milliemedia
- Thanks to: Jukka Hytti, Hans Olav Brenner, Mia Sofie Mohn Groven, Mia Keinänen, Anders Hamre, Halvor Wilhelm Valle, David Slotsvik, Ida Uvaas, Lea Basch, Ole Martin Moen, Lena Lindgren, Joachim Hamou, Ida Andersson, Toumas Toivonen, Ole Giæver, Anne-Cecile Sibue, Ragnheiður Skúladóttir, Sven Åge Birkeland, Eskil Vogt, Joachim Trier, Veena, Rom for dans, Millimedia, Black Box Teater
- Music: Ata Ebtekar, David Bowie, Gustav Mahler, John Dowland, Per Platou, Philip Glass.
- Inspired by: Thure Erik Lund, Thomas Hirschhorn, Emma Engdahl, Nancy Fraser, Francis Fukuyama, Korakrit Arunanondchai, Ole Martin Moen, Arie Altena, Bruno Latour, Roy Scranton, Joseph Beuys, Hamlet, Roberto Bolano, Albert Camus, Michel Houellebecq, Global Challenges Foundation/Universitetet i Oxford: 12 trusler som gjør at verden går under, Edward Snowden, Anselm Kiefer, Matthew Barney, Ingrid Fiksdal.
- Featured photo: Ingrid Eggen